Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Giving Thanks

Dear World,
Happy belated Thanksgiving! I should have posted something sooner in observation of the holiday, but didn't think about it. Maybe I'll be on top of things for Christmas. Maybe.
This year, like most years, I flipped through a list of things I was thankful for as I encountered them throughout the day. I woke up thankful for soft mattresses and warm blankets. I logged onto Facebook and was thankful for my friends and family (both those with, and those without Facebook). I took a picture and was thankful for my camera. I played with the dog and was thankful for her. I washed the dishes and was thankful for running water. I wished we'd used paper plates and was thankful for the beautiful pattern on the "new" ones we'd inherited from Granny. But this year I also felt sincerely grateful for bad hair days.
I love my hair and love when it does what I want it to. But sometimes it decides to be... "artistic" and try doing things it's own way. Thanksgiving day, I felt thankful for bad hair days. We are to give thanks in all thing right? So that includes the little irritating inconveniences too. Like bad hair days.
I had an analogy brewing earlier. About how I'm trying to shape my hair into something beautiful (like what God is trying to do with my life). And how when my hair resists I have to pin it back with more or stronger hair clips or use hair spray (in either case, it's less comfortable) and how when I resist God's direction He has to use more forceful means to get me to follow Him, etc... But I got distracted in the middle of my musings and that's as far as the analogy making got.
Grateful for the season,
SingingGem
 

No comments:

Post a Comment