Monday, July 30, 2012

Patience with the Patients

Dear World,
Last week I had the sweetest patient. A young boy who asked lots of questions. It was one of those times when you don't want to squelch curiosity, but at the same time you just really wish he'd quit asking questions so you can hurry up and get your job done. I work at an orthodontic office as a chairside assistant. During the summer it gets pretty busy and when my patient is talking, I'm not able to work. 
With this patient I was half entertained, and half straining to stay polite. I'd been running behind all day due to several patients needing more work than they had scheduled for. While I enjoyed talking with this patient, he was making it difficult to catch up with the schedule. I was relieved when he was finally quiet for two minutes put together! As I was inserting the wire through his bands and brackets he started talking again. My hands instinctively moved away to allow him to talk.
"You have beautiful eyes."
I melted. I still tried to hurry the task at hand along, but I no longer had to work to reign in my temper. Four simple words and a random 11 year old had made life a little easier for me. The part I find fascinating? He probably forgot completely about it the minute he walked out of the office. I'm still grateful for it nearly a week later. I'm even posting an entire blog post about it!
So if anyone wants to know what I'm thankful for this week, it's for that little kid and his penchant for talking. Sometimes those things we see as being in the way turn out to be the blessing.
Good night world!
SingingGem

5 comments:

  1. Gem, *all* my friends have met you! It's not fair. I'll get on your blog some day! ;-)

    This is one reason I have to come to Frisbee Fridays. (Was it at frisbee you met the Doves?)

    P.S. Yup, you're pretty famous, belive it or not.

    P.P.S. Anyways, keep up the writing (on this blog, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Taralyn Rose!
    First, I must say that I'm a fan of your blog. (I can't remember if I've ever been brave enough to comment on any of your posts, but there have been several that I've really enjoyed and have found thought provoking.)
    I've often thought it'd be cool to actually meet you (in person, not pixels) so it would be wonderful if you did come to Friday Frisbee sometime! (And yes, that is where I met the Dove family.)
    I will try to keep writing on this blog as I find things to blog about. (The quote blog is so much easier though. All I have to do is be around when someone says something funny and voila! instant post!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gem!

    Thanks so much for being a fan of my blog! It makes me happy :-) (and when in doubt, comment. I love comments)

    So, I'm gathering that this week is the last time you're going to frisbee this year. I'm really sad. Hopefully I'll meet you some place, at some event (maybe I should come to the marriage conference ;-P You go, don't you? haha)

    The Doves are the best!

    I'm glad you're gonna keep up your blog :-) I liked your last post. I enjoy orthadontist stories almost as much as I enjoy coffee shop stories :-)

    (Well, maybe when I meet you, I'll help you with a few post on your quote blog. heehee) ;-D

    Sorry...I'll go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Did Renee tell you about my reaction to it being called a marriage conference? Yes, I'll be there this year, Lord willing. I've signed up at least... I think... (if I haven't, I intend to soon). So if you're there, find me! Otherwise I'll have to get Renee to drag you to one of our coffee shop meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, but I'm going to ask her now! :-) hehe.

    I'm not actually sure that I'm going. I mean, I'd like to...(I'd be like, I'm not here to get married, I'm here to see Gem!)

    And then I might get a good coffee shop story to blog about!

    ReplyDelete