Saturday, June 16, 2012

Curiosity MIGHT have killed this cat...


Ever get curious about how easy it would be for a random person to find you on the internet? Well, I did a google images search on myself to see if I showed up. Most of the pictures were not me... on the first page there was a random person who was not me but could have been my cousin's twin, and on the second page there was one random photo of me. So then I decided to do a google images search with my full legal name. Absolutely no pictures of me. I'm safe from stalkers.
I then decided to look up my college roommate's name on google images. The first two photos were of her. Then there were three other random people with presumably the same name. Then her again. Then my program adviser... how did his picture come up with a search for her name? Well, it gets crazier: the next photo is of my two best friends from back home. They don't even go to the same college! I mean, at least my program adviser was connected in some way (through the school) to my roommate. The next picture was another of the school's faculty followed by three maps of the United States, by now, I'm no longer surprised. But wait! What are those next five photos? GRAVESTONES? This just keeps getting weirder and weirder! I think I'll just stop looking before I begin to fear for her life (if I haven't already).
I believe I have learned my lesson. Several lessons in fact. One, the internet is very confused when it comes to the identity of my roommate. Two, I (thankfully) do not have a very high chance of being stalked online (hopefully). Three, my cousin might have a twin that she was somehow separated from at birth (but probably she doesn't). Four, the word "gravestones" looks more sinister when written in both all caps and italics. Five, sometimes it's better not to satisfy your curiosity. Well, that pretty much wraps up the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment